Thumbnails
 
Marsh Wheeling Stogies

Marsh Wheeling Stogies

Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virginia

The M. Marsh & Sons company, manufacturer of Marsh Wheeling Stogies, was founded by Miflin Marsh (1818-1901) in 1840 at Wheeling, West Virginia. The company operated for over 160 years, most recently at the now vacant five-story brick factory off Market Street. Stogies, a longer, thinner, less expensive variation of the cigar, were first sold in Wheeling along the Ohio River to rivermen and along the National Road to settlers headed west in their Conestoga wagons. The stogie took its name from the wagons of those pioneering settlers. The Marsh company reached its peak in the 1940s with over 600 employees. After years of declining business the Marsh factory shut down in 2001 after the company was bought by a competitor and its operations moved to Indiana.