Egg Rock Lighthouse
Egg Rock, Frenchman's Bay, Maine
Egg Rock Lighthouse was built on 12½ acre Egg Rock, once known as Gull Island, in 1875 at a cost of $15,000. Since its construction, the 40-foot lighthouse, located at the mouth of Frenchman’s Bay near Bar Harbor, has been active navigational aid, and although the lighthouse is now automated, it continues in this purpose. The lighthouse is owned and managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as part of the Maine Coastal Wildlife Refuge. It is not open to the public although it can be viewed from one of the many boat tours available from Bar Harbor. Egg Rock Lighthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.