Twilight Park is a private residential community located at the head of Kaaterskill Clove near the village of Haines Falls in the northern Catskills. It offers dramatic views of Kaaterskill Clove, Haines Falls and the Hudson River.
Charles Wingate, a journalist and civil/sanitary engineer, founded the park on land purchased from Charles Haines, owner of the Haines Falls House, in August 1887, with construction beginning soon thereafter. By 1888 there were 5 cottages; by 1889 there were 15 cottages; by 1890 there were 26 cottages; and by 1892 there were 49 cottages, 3 inns and 300 residents. In 1935 the adjacent Santa Cruz Park was incorporated into Twilight Park. Haines Falls, a beautiful 150-foot waterfall, is located on the west end of the property. Today Twilight Park is one of three remaining private communities in the area, the other two being Onteora Park and Elka Park. The Twilight Park Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In these photographs the homes at Twilight Park can be seen sitting on their lofty perch amidst a wall of autumn colors. You can visit the community’s website at www.twilightpark.com for more information about its history, the annual art show or the occasional real estate that becomes available for purchase.