Catskills, Then and Now: Hanford Mills

September 05, 2020  •  Leave a Comment

Route 12, East Meredith, Delaware County

 

The 70-acre Hanford Mills site, located on Kortright Creek in East Meredith, was first established in 1846 and later purchased by David Josiah Hanford in 1860. The mill complex, including a sawmill, gristmill, feed mill, woodworking shop, feed store and hardware store, would grow to become one of the largest industries in the immediate region. In the early 1900s power from the mill would be used to provide electricity to the village of East Meredith. In 1900, due to the growing trade business, the Ulster and Delaware constructed a railroad through the mill’s property, which greatly increased its access to the markets. The mill continued to operate for 121 years but was forced to close its doors in 1967.

 

After the mill shut down it was quickly converted in to a working museum that same year. Today the museum is open to the public, offering numerous educational programs, a nature trail, informative exhibits and tours, blacksmith demonstrations, a historic farmhouse, a working sawmill, the annual winter ice harvests and much more. The museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as “an outstanding example of a well-preserved industrial complex” during “the growth of a local industry, using natural resources at hand, and providing goods and services for community consumption as well as export.” Visit the museum website at www.hanfordmills.org for more information.

 

The postcard was published in July 1982 by the Hanford Mills Museum. It was never mailed. My photograph was taken 36 years later in September 2018.

 

Vintage postcard of the Hanford Mills museum, located on Kortright Creek in East Meredith, that offers numerous educational programs, a nature trail, informative exhibits and tours, blacksmith demonstThe Historic Hanford Mills MuseumRoute 12, East Meredith, Delaware County

The 70-acre Hanford Mills site, located on Kortright Creek in East Meredith, was first established in 1846 and later purchased by David Josiah Hanford in 1860. The mill complex, including a sawmill, gristmill, feed mill, woodworking shop, feed store and hardware store, would grow to become one of the largest industries in the immediate region. In the early 1900s power from the mill would be used to provide electricity to the village of East Meredith. In 1900, due to the growing trade business, the Ulster and Delaware constructed a railroad through the mill’s property, which greatly increased its access to the markets. The mill continued to operate for 121 years but was forced to close its doors in 1967.

After the mill shut down it was quickly converted in to a working museum that same year. Today the museum is open to the public, offering numerous educational programs, a nature trail, informative exhibits and tours, blacksmith demonstrations, a historic farmhouse, a working sawmill, the annual winter ice harvests and much more. The museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as “an outstanding example of a well-preserved industrial complex” during “the growth of a local industry, using natural resources at hand, and providing goods and services for community consumption as well as export.” Visit the museum website at www.hanfordmills.org for more information.

The postcard was published in July 1982 by the Hanford Mills Museum. It was never mailed.

 

The Hanford Mills museum, located on Kortright Creek in East Meredith, Delaware County offers numerous educational programs throughout the year.Hanford MillsEast Meredith, Delaware County

The 70 acre Hanford Mills site, located on Kortright Creek in East Meredith, was first established in 1846 and later purchased by David Josiah Hanford in 1860. The mill complex, including a sawmill, gristmill, feed mill, woodworking shop, feed store and hardware store, would grow to become one of the largest industries in the immediate region. In the early 1900s power from the mill would be used to provide electricity to the village of East Meredith. In 1900, due to the growing trade business, the Ulster and Delaware constructed a railroad through the mill’s property, which greatly increased its access to the markets. The mill continued to operate for 121 years but was forced to close its doors in 1967.

After the mill shut down it was quickly converted in to a working museum that same year. Today the museum is open to the public, offering numerous educational programs, a nature trail, informative exhibits and tours, blacksmith demonstrations, a historic farmhouse, a working sawmill, the annual winter ice harvests and much more. The museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as “an outstanding example of a well preserved industrial complex” during “the growth of a local industry, using natural resources at hand, and providing goods and services for community consumption as well as export.” Visit the museum website at www.hanfordmills.org for more information.


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Subscribe
RSS
Archive
January February March April May June July August September October November (3) December (1)
January (1) February (2) March April May June (2) July August September October November (1) December (1)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September (2) October November December
January (2) February (1) March (2) April (4) May June July August September October November (3) December (3)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January (5) February (4) March (4) April (4) May (5) June (4) July (5) August September October November December