The Old Stone House in the hamlet of Hasbrouck was constructed circa 1810. It is scenically located on a knoll overlooking the confluence of the Wynkoop Brook and the Neversink River in the town of Fallsburg.
The Hasbrouck hamlet was once a thriving country community with shops, a mill, a church, a creamery and its own post office (from 1846 to 1923). The hamlet was named in honor of Anthony Hasbrouck, who settled there in the early 1800’s and was known as “one of the most prominent citizens of Sullivan [County] . . . a man of wealth, and an active and influential democratic politician.” Anthony Hasbrouck for many years resided at the Old Stone House.
In December 1840 the old stone became the site of the one of the most notorious crimes in early Sullivan County history. Cornelius Hardenbergh, the great grandson of Major Johannes Hardenbergh, one of the original proprietors of the Hardenbergh patent, murdered Anthony Hasbrouck at the house over a heated dispute involving business dealings and a family inheritance. The local newspaper described the crime “as one of the most fiendish murders ever committed in this or any other country . . . We do not believe the annals of crime can furnish an instance of the kind more shocking in its details – one which was perpetrated with such brutality and cool premeditation. The bare recital is sufficient to sicken the heart of the most abandoned and brutal.” (The Cabinet. Schenectady, NY. January 5, 1841.) Hardenbergh was convicted for his crime and became the first person to be hanged in Sullivan County.
During the course of the building’s history, it has served as a private residence, boarding house, restaurant, creamery, post office and school. Today the Old Stone House, now owned by the Concerned Citizens of Hasbrouck, serves as a community center and home for the arts. Visit their website at www.theoldstonehouseofhasbrouck.org for more information.