A Photographic Tour of Catskill, New York

January 22, 2022  •  Leave a Comment

The historic riverside village of Catskill, scenically located at the junction of the Hudson River and Catskill Creek, is home to “rich architectural resources”, “a tapestry of architectural styles, most of which are remarkably well preserved” and “a wide variety and high concentration of well-preserved late eighteenth and nineteenth century brick and frame structures, ranging from simple industrial buildings and early stores to the elaborate Victorian residences.”

 

Much of the downtown village is included on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District, which is comprised of over 500 contributing buildings spread over 200 acres. While the historic district is quite large, an introductory appreciation of the village architecture is as simple as taking an enjoyable driving tour and/or a walking tour up and down Main Street. 

 

Main Street in the East Side Historic District in the village of Catskill in Greene County, New York.Main StreetMain Street, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

The prominent 399-395 Main Street building was constructed in 1802 and is described as “commercial, 3 story, 9 bays wide, brick, flat roof, 3 glass storefronts.” The neighboring 393 Main Street building was constructed circa 1820 and is described as “commercial, 3 story, 3 bays wide, brick, flat roof, glass storefront, street level” and “the plain lintels were updated during the nineteenth century with the addition of segmental window heads and the building was topped with a typical and popular segmental cornice.” To the left is the Selleck Building at 391 Main Street which was constructed circa 1890 and is “commercial, 3 story, 4 bays wide, brick, flat roof with highly decorative cornice, glass storefront on street level.” The building has been home to Selleck & Co., a bakery and confectionery, Upper Hudson Electric and Railroad Company and Central Hudson Gas & Electric.

Reference:
Ross, Claire. East Side Historic District. National Park Service, nomination form for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places, Washington D.C. 1981.

Main Street

The prominent 399-395 Main Street building was constructed in 1802 and is described as “commercial, 3 story, 9 bays wide, brick, flat roof, 3 glass storefronts.”

 

The neighboring 393 Main Street building was constructed circa 1820 and is described as “commercial, 3 story, 3 bays wide, brick, flat roof, glass storefront, street level” and “the plain lintels were updated during the nineteenth century with the addition of segmental window heads and the building was topped with a typical and popular segmental cornice.”

 

To the left is the Selleck Building at 391 Main Street which was constructed circa 1890 and is “commercial, 3 story, 4 bays wide, brick, flat roof with highly decorative cornice, glass storefront on street level.” The building has been home to Selleck & Co., a bakery and confectionery, Upper Hudson Electric and Railroad Company and Central Hudson Gas & Electric.

 

The buildings at 393 Main Street to 401 Main Street in the village of Catskill, New York are listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District.393-401 Main StreetThe buildings at 393 to 401 Main Street in the village of Catskill, New York are listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District.

393 Main Street: Constructed “c. 1820. Commercial – 3 story – 3 bays wide – Brick – Flat roof – Glass storefront, street level.” “Living quarters are upstairs. The plain lintels were updated during the nineteenth century with the addition of segmental window heads and the building was topped with a typical and popular segmental cornice.”

395-399 Main Street. Constructed 1802. “Commercial – 3 story – 9 bays wide – Brick – Flat roof – 3 glass storefronts.”

401 Main Street. Constructed 1802. “Commercial – 3 story – 3 bays wide – Brick – Gable and flat roof – Glass storefront.”

Windows on Main

 

The 281 Main Street building, constructed circa 1870, is located within the East Side Historic District of the village of Catskill.281 Main StreetThe 281 Main Street building in the village of Catskill (Greene County) was constructed circa 1870. It is described on the East Side Historic District’s nomination form for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places as “residential, 2 story, 6 bays wide, brick, flat roof, center hall entrance both with double doors.” The building has served as home to an optometrist, a gallery, a pharmaceutical sales company and as a private residence. Today the sign on the door advertises the building as home to The Galleria Catskill, a small local gallery featuring artists Edith Marcik and Terence Barrell. Visit their website at www.thegalleriacatskills.webstarts.com for more information.

281 Main Street

The 281 Main Street building in the village of Catskill (Greene County) was constructed circa 1870. It is described on the East Side Historic District’s nomination form for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places as “residential, 2 story, 6 bays wide, brick, flat roof, center hall entrance both with double doors.” The building has served as home to an optometrist, a gallery, a pharmaceutical sales company and as a private residence. Today the sign on the door advertises the building as home to The Galleria Catskill, a small local gallery featuring artists Edith Marcik and Terence Barrell. Visit their website at www.thegalleriacatskills.webstarts.com for more information.

 

Di Stefano’s Barber Shop offers up a classic storefront in the downtown historic district of Catskill.Di Stefano’s Barber Shop412 Main Street, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

Di Stefano’s Barber Shop offers up a classic storefront in the downtown historic district of Catskill. The barber shop has been a long-time mainstay of the village community. The building was originally constructed circa 1800 and is described on the East Side Historic District’s nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places as “commercial, 3 story, 2 bays wide, stucco, flat roof, glass storefront, street level.”

Di Stefano’s Barber Shop

412 Main Street

 

Di Stefano’s Barber Shop offers up a classic storefront in the downtown historic district of Catskill. The barber shop has been a long-time mainstay of the village community. The building was originally constructed circa 1800 and is described on the East Side Historic District’s nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places as “commercial, 3 story, 2 bays wide, stucco, flat roof, glass storefront, street level.” 

 

The A.M. Osborn Hose Co. No. 2 formerly served as a volunteer fire company at the village community of Catskill, Greene County, New York.A.M. Osborn Hose Co. No. 2323 Main Street, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

The A.M. Osborn Hose Co. No. 2 was formed in 1886 as a volunteer fire company to serve the village community of Catskill. The company was named in honor of Austin Melvin Osborn, a prominent New York State Supreme Court Justice. The first leader of the fire company was Clarence Deed, who was elected foreman. The company firehouse, located on Main Street across from the Greene County Courthouse, was constructed in 1904. The fire company faithfully served the community for 117 years until 2003 when the three fire companies of Catskill were merged into one consolidated department, the Catskill Fire Department. Today the former A.M. Osborn Hose Company firehouse is home to a U.S Army recruiting station.

A.M. Osborn Hose Co. No. 2

323 Main Street

 

The A.M. Osborn Hose Co. No. 2 was formed in 1886 as a volunteer fire company to serve the village community of Catskill. The company was named in honor of Austin Melvin Osborn, a prominent New York State Supreme Court Justice. The first leader of the fire company was Clarence Deed, who was elected foreman. The company firehouse, located on Main Street across from the Greene County Courthouse, was constructed in 1904. The fire company faithfully served the community for 117 years until 2003 when the three fire companies of Catskill were merged into one consolidated department, the Catskill Fire Department. Today the former A.M. Osborn Hose Company firehouse is home to a U.S Army recruiting station.

 

The Catskill Daily Mail is a regional newspaper located at the village of Catskill, Greene County.The Daily Mail414 Main Street, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

The Catskill Daily Mail is a regional newspaper with its direct origins in the year 1879, and, including countless mergers, acquisitions and name changes, harkens back to the late 18th century as The Catskill Packet. Today the newspaper operates out of an office on Main Street in downtown Catskill. The 414 Main Street building was constructed circa 1930 and is described on the East Side Historic District’s nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places as “commercial, 2 story, 3 bays wide, brick, flat roof with stepping, glass storefront.”

The Daily Mail

The Catskill Daily Mail is a regional newspaper with its direct origins in the year 1879, and, including countless mergers, acquisitions and name changes, harkens back to the late 18th century as The Catskill Packet. Today the newspaper operates out of an office on Main Street in downtown Catskill. The 414 Main Street building was constructed circa 1930 and is described on the East Side Historic District’s nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places as “commercial, 2 story, 3 bays wide, brick, flat roof with stepping, glass storefront.”

 

The 111 Water Street building is located within the East Side Historic District of the village of Catskill, New York.111 WaterEast Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

Situated on the Catskill Creek, the historic 111 Water Street building was constructed circa 1880 and was described on the East Side Historic District’s nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places as “commercial, 4 story, large waterfront factory, brick, 5th floor tower, gable roof.”

In its long history the building, sometimes referred to as Union Mills, has served as home to the Steam Woolen Company, a manufactured gas plant, a furniture store and a warehouse. In its latest incarnation, after lying dormant for nearly a decade, Rob Kalin, founder and former CEO of Etsy, purchased the property with the intent of building a multi-use facility including a restaurant serving local farm-to-table cuisine, general store, hotel, brewery, bakery, and crafting workshops. All items for sale in the general store and used in the restaurant would be handmade by resident craftsmen. The workshops, open to the public, would feature artisans working with wood, metal, glass, ceramics, clay, paper and much more. The property, formerly known as Union Mills, will now be known as The Catskill Mill.

The neighboring building at 110 Water Street, known as the Bogardus-Donnelly building, was originally the personal mansion of James Bogardus, a local shopkeeper and ship captain, but was later converted to serve as the main office for the Steam Woolen Company. During the Civil War the factory produced military uniforms for the Union Army.

111 Water Street

Situated on the Catskill Creek, the historic 111 Water Street building was constructed circa 1880 and was described on the East Side Historic District’s nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places as “commercial, 4 story, large waterfront factory, brick, 5th floor tower, gable roof.”

 

In its long history the building, sometimes referred to as Union Mills, has served as home to the Steam Woolen Company, a manufactured gas plant, a furniture store and a warehouse. In its latest incarnation, after lying dormant for nearly a decade, Rob Kalin, founder and former CEO of Etsy, purchased the property with the intent of building a multi-use facility including a restaurant serving local farm-to-table cuisine, general store, hotel, brewery, bakery, and crafting workshops. All items for sale in the general store and used in the restaurant would be handmade by resident craftsmen. The workshops, open to the public, would feature artisans working with wood, metal, glass, ceramics, clay, paper and much more. The property, formerly known as Union Mills, will now be known as The Catskill Mill.

 

The neighboring building at 110 Water Street, known as the Bogardus-Donnelly building, was originally the personal mansion of James Bogardus, a local shopkeeper and ship captain, but was later converted to serve as the main office for the Steam Woolen Company. During the Civil War the factory produced military uniforms for the Union Army.

 

The 331 Main Street building in Catskill was constructed around 1869 by J. Freelon Gaylord (1844-1911) as home to several stores and the 1,000 seat Gaylord Opera House.Gaylord Opera House331 Main Street, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

The 331 Main Street building in Catskill, once considered “one of the most substantial in the county, was constructed around 1869 by J. Freelon Gaylord (1844-1911) as home to several stores and the 1,000 seat Gaylord Opera House. J. F. Gaylord was a prominent member of the Catskill community, being described in The Recorder in his December 29, 1911 obituary as “a man of rare business tact and progressive ideas. His whole life was governed and directed by his inherent desire to do right. He had a wide acquaintance, and was esteemed for his sterling integrity and honesty of purpose.”

In 1952 a fire destroyed the 3rd and 4th floors, which were never rebuilt. According to the non-profit Heart of Catskill Association (HOCA) on their website www.catskillny.org, the building has been home to a variety of businesses including Doty Golding’s Opera House Store, Sanford Overbaugh’s Restaurant, Sedgewood Pharmacy, William Earl – Harness Maker, the Daily Mail and the Morris Furniture Company. Today the building is home to Stiefel & Winans, a local legal firm.

Gaylord Opera House

The 331 Main Street building in Catskill, once considered “one of the most substantial in the county, was constructed around 1869 by J. Freelon Gaylord (1844-1911) as home to several stores and the 1,000 seat Gaylord Opera House. J. F. Gaylord was a prominent member of the Catskill community, being described in The Recorder in his December 29, 1911 obituary as “a man of rare business tact and progressive ideas. His whole life was governed and directed by his inherent desire to do right. He had a wide acquaintance, and was esteemed for his sterling integrity and honesty of purpose.”

 

In 1952 a fire destroyed the 3rd and 4th floors, which were never rebuilt. According to the non-profit Heart of Catskill Association (HOCA) on their website www.catskillny.org, the building has been home to a variety of businesses including Doty Golding’s Opera House Store, Sanford Overbaugh’s Restaurant, Sedgewood Pharmacy, William Earl – Harness Maker, the Daily Mail and the Morris Furniture Company. Today the building is home to Stiefel & Winans, a local legal firm.  

 

The Community Theatre is located in the village of Catskill, New York.Like Us373 Main Street, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

Looking like a scene out of the 1950s this small section of downtown Catskill offers a glimpse of the wonderful take-a-step-back-in-time architecture that is characteristic of the riverside village. The Community Theatre was constructed in 1920 and had its roots in vaudeville and other live entertainment before transitioning to motion pictures in the 1940s. The theatre retains much of its original charm including a photo-worthy marquee. For nearly 100 years that historic charm, combined with affordable prices and the latest movie releases, has ensured that the Community Theatre remained a focal point for the village.

The Community Theatre

373 Main Street

 

Looking like a scene out of the 1950s this small section of downtown Catskill offers a glimpse of the wonderful take-a-step-back-in-time architecture that is characteristic of the riverside village. The Community Theatre was constructed in 1920 and had its roots in vaudeville and other live entertainment before transitioning to motion pictures in the 1940s. The theatre retains much of its original charm including a photo-worthy marquee. For nearly 100 years that historic charm, combined with affordable prices and the latest movie releases, has ensured that the Community Theatre remained a focal point for the village.    

 

The Greene County Courthouse is a beautiful building in the village of Catskill, New York.Greene County Courthouse, Afternoon LightThe Greene County Courthouse is a beautiful building in the village of Catskill. The building was designed by architect William J. Beardsley (1872-1934) of Poughkeepsie and constructed by the Peter Keeler Company. The building was constructed in 1909 at a cost of $180,000. Neo-classical in architectural style, the building is described as “an imposing Neo-classical Ohio sandstone building with a monumental portico highlighted by bas-relief carved figures in the pediment. The building is topped by a balustrade and has a well-scaled dome.” (1) The Greene County Courthouse is included on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District (of Catskill). The county, and thus the courthouse, is named for Nathanael Greene (1742-1786), a Major General for the Continental Army during the American Revolution.

According to the History of Greene County written in 1915 by Frank Gallt, at the time of its construction the Greene County Courthouse “is without a doubt the finest county building in the state. It is built of Ohio sand stone and fireproof. The interior is finished with tirazza and inlaid floors, marble wainscoting, and hard natural woods. The Supreme court chambers, court room, supervisors’ rooms and County Judge’s chambers are furnished with antique oak furnishings, and the carpets in keeping with the other fittings. The county treasurer, sheriff and election commissioners have excellent chambers. The vaults for records are fireproof and very spacious.

The building is located at the corner of Main and Bridge streets, and the surroundings are first class. On the lawn is a grand fountain, the gift to the county of the late Senator William P. Fiero, of Catskill, costing a large sum of money. The county jail costing about $10,000 is located in the rear of the court house, and the Carnegie library costing $30,000 is across the street, as also are the Presbyterian church and the Masonic Temple. Grand buildings that replaced unsightly structures. (2)

Sources:
(1) Ross, Claire L. National Register of Historic Placed nomination form for the East Side Historic District. Page 8.

(2) Gallt, Frank A. Dear Old Greene County. Catskill, NY, 1915. Pages 63-65.
The Greene County Courthouse is a beautiful building in the village of Catskill, New York.Greene County CourthouseThe Greene County Courthouse is a beautiful building in the village of Catskill. The building was designed by architect William J. Beardsley (1872-1934) of Poughkeepsie and constructed by the Peter Keeler Company. The building was constructed in 1909 at a cost of $180,000. Neo-classical in architectural style, the building is described as “an imposing Neo-classical Ohio sandstone building with a monumental portico highlighted by bas-relief carved figures in the pediment. The building is topped by a balustrade and has a well-scaled dome.” (1) The Greene County Courthouse is included on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District (of Catskill). The county, and thus the courthouse, is named for Nathanael Greene (1742-1786), a Major General for the Continental Army during the American Revolution.

According to the History of Greene County written in 1915 by Frank Gallt, at the time of its construction the Greene County Courthouse “is without a doubt the finest county building in the state. It is built of Ohio sand stone and fireproof. The interior is finished with tirazza and inlaid floors, marble wainscoting, and hard natural woods. The Supreme court chambers, court room, supervisors’ rooms and County Judge’s chambers are furnished with antique oak furnishings, and the carpets in keeping with the other fittings. The county treasurer, sheriff and election commissioners have excellent chambers. The vaults for records are fireproof and very spacious.

The building is located at the corner of Main and Bridge streets, and the surroundings are first class. On the lawn is a grand fountain, the gift to the county of the late Senator William P. Fiero, of Catskill, costing a large sum of money. The county jail costing about $10,000 is located in the rear of the court house, and the Carnegie library costing $30,000 is across the street, as also are the Presbyterian church and the Masonic Temple. Grand buildings that replaced unsightly structures. (2)

Sources:
(1) Ross, Claire L. National Register of Historic Placed nomination form for the East Side Historic District. Page 8.

(2) Gallt, Frank A. Dear Old Greene County. Catskill, NY, 1915. Pages 63-65.

Greene County Courthouse

The Greene County Courthouse is a beautiful building in the village of Catskill. The building was designed by architect William J. Beardsley (1872-1934) of Poughkeepsie and constructed by the Peter Keeler Company. The building was constructed in 1909 at a cost of $180,000. Neo-classical in architectural style, the building is described as “an imposing Neo-classical Ohio sandstone building with a monumental portico highlighted by bas-relief carved figures in the pediment. The building is topped by a balustrade and has a well-scaled dome.” The Greene County Courthouse is included on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District (of Catskill). The county, and thus the courthouse, is named for Nathanael Greene (1742-1786), a Major General for the Continental Army during the American Revolution.

 

According to the History of Greene County written in 1915 by Frank Gallt, at the time of its construction the Greene County Courthouse “is without a doubt the finest county building in the state. It is built of Ohio sand stone and fireproof. The interior is finished with tirazza and inlaid floors, marble wainscoting, and hard natural woods. The Supreme court chambers, court room, supervisors’ rooms and County Judge’s chambers are furnished with antique oak furnishings, and the carpets in keeping with the other fittings. The county treasurer, sheriff and election commissioners have excellent chambers. The vaults for records are fireproof and very spacious.

 

The building is located at the corner of Main and Bridge streets, and the surroundings are first class. On the lawn is a grand fountain, the gift to the county of the late Senator William P. Fiero, of Catskill, costing a large sum of money. The county jail costing about $10,000 is located in the rear of the court house, and the Carnegie library costing $30,000 is across the street, as also are the Presbyterian church and the Masonic Temple. Grand buildings that replaced unsightly structures.”

 

World War I Doughboy statue titled “Over the Top at Cantigny” located in front of Greene County Supreme Court building in the village of Catskill.Over the Top at CantignyLocated in front of Greene County Supreme Court building in the village of Catskill, the World War I Doughboy statue titled “Over the Top at Cantigny” commemorates those who have served in 10th New York Infantry between July 15, 1917 and July 8, 1919. The Battle of Cantigny, during May 1918 in France, was the first American battle and victory of World War 1. American Army and Marine soldiers of the era were known as “doughboys”, with historians theorizing about several different possible origins of the term.

The life size bronze statue, set upon a tall granite pedestal with commemorative plaques, poignantly details a “World War 1 soldier holding a rifle aloft in his proper right hand as he runs with his proper left leg taking a step forward. At his feet are rocks and barbed wire. The soldier is dressed in his uniform, including a helmet, and carries a pack on his back. Around his neck he wears a square pouch and hanging from his ammunition belt are a canteen and his bayonet. The sculpture rests on a square base with two steps at the bottom.” (Smithsonian American Art Museum.)

The Doughboy statue was designed by John Paulding (1883-1935), a prominent American sculptor well known for his World War 1 memorials. Paulding created four variations in his “Over the Top” series of sculptures. Three of the four variations can be found throughout the United States, but only two versions of Model 2043-C (with the soldier holding his rifle overhead) are known to exist, the one here at Catskill, New York and the other at Astoria, Oregon. The sculpture was manufactured by the American Art Bronze Foundry in Chicago.

Over the Top at Cantigny

Located in front of Greene County Supreme Court building in the village of Catskill, the World War I Doughboy statue titled “Over the Top at Cantigny” commemorates those who have served in 10th New York Infantry between July 15, 1917 and July 8, 1919. The Battle of Cantigny, during May 1918 in France, was the first American battle and victory of World War 1. American Army and Marine soldiers of the era were known as “doughboys”, with historians theorizing about several different possible origins of the term.

 

The life size bronze statue, set upon a tall granite pedestal with commemorative plaques, poignantly details a “World War 1 soldier holding a rifle aloft in his proper right hand as he runs with his proper left leg taking a step forward. At his feet are rocks and barbed wire. The soldier is dressed in his uniform, including a helmet, and carries a pack on his back. Around his neck he wears a square pouch and hanging from his ammunition belt are a canteen and his bayonet. The sculpture rests on a square base with two steps at the bottom.” (Smithsonian American Art Museum.) 

 

The Doughboy statue was designed by John Paulding (1883-1935), a prominent American sculptor well known for his World War 1 memorials. Paulding created four variations in his “Over the Top” series of sculptures. Three of the four variations can be found throughout the United States, but only two versions of Model 2043-C (with the soldier holding his rifle overhead) are known to exist, the one here at Catskill, New York and the other at Astoria, Oregon. The sculpture was manufactured by the American Art Bronze Foundry in Chicago.

 

The village of Catskill boasts a beautiful town mural depicting “Life in Old Catskill.”Life in Old CatskillEast Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

The village of Catskill boasts a beautiful town mural depicting “Life in Old Catskill.” The colorful mural, with the Catskill Mountains as a backdrop, nicely encapsulates village history with trains, boats, the Hudson River promenade, the Thomas Cole House and more.

Life in Old Catskill

The village of Catskill boasts a beautiful town mural depicting “Life in Old Catskill.” The colorful mural, with the Catskill Mountains as a backdrop, nicely encapsulates village history with trains, boats, the Hudson River promenade, the Thomas Cole House and more. 

 

The 271 Main Street building is located within the East Side Historic District of the village of Catskill, New York.271 Main StreetThe 271 Main Street building in the village of Catskill (Greene County) was constructed circa 1868. The building is included on the National Register of Historic Places as part of Catskill’s East Side Historic District. The building was described as “Residential – 2 story – 5 bays wide – Wood shingles – Gable roof – Recessed center front door.”

271 Main Street

The 271 Main Street building in the village of Catskill (Greene County) was constructed circa 1868. The building is included on the National Register of Historic Places as part of Catskill’s East Side Historic District. The building was described as “Residential – 2 story – 5 bays wide – Wood shingles – Gable roof – Recessed center front door.”

 

The Kindness Rocks Project has a rock garden at the village of Catskill, New York.LiveCatskill, Greene County

The Kindness Rocks Project began simply enough in Barnstable, Massachusetts with one woman collecting a few rocks during daily walks on a local beach. Seeking to spread the message of kindness, she started painting the rocks with bright colors along with messages of hope, optimism and remembrance. The rocks were then placed in random places in the hope of inspiring others. It worked. Others soon followed with painted rocks of their own.

Today there are dozens of these inspirational rock gardens that can be found throughout the United States. The movement has been covered in the local and national press. For more information on the Kindness Rocks movement check out the website at www.thekindnessrocksproject.com.
The Kindness Rocks Project has a rock garden at the village of Catskill, New York.Live With PurposeCatskill, Greene County

The Kindness Rocks Project began simply enough in Barnstable, Massachusetts with one woman collecting a few rocks during daily walks on a local beach. Seeking to spread the message of kindness, she started painting the rocks with bright colors along with messages of hope, optimism and remembrance. The rocks were then placed in random places in the hope of inspiring others. It worked. Others soon followed with painted rocks of their own.

Today there are dozens of these inspirational rock gardens that can be found throughout the United States. The movement has been covered in the local and national press. For more information on the Kindness Rocks movement check out the website at www.thekindnessrocksproject.com.

Kindness Rocks

The Kindness Rocks Project began simply enough in Barnstable, Massachusetts with one woman collecting a few rocks during daily walks on a local beach. Seeking to spread the message of kindness, she started painting the rocks with bright colors along with messages of hope, optimism and remembrance. The rocks were then placed in random places in the hope of inspiring others. It worked. Others soon followed with painted rocks of their own.

 

Today there are dozens of these inspirational rock gardens that can be found throughout the United States. The movement has been covered in the local and national press. For more information on the Kindness Rocks movement check out the website at www.thekindnessrocksproject.com.

 

One-of-a-kind cat sculpture titled “Captain Americat” that was displayed in the village of Catskill, New York.Captain AmeriCATThe village of Catskill celebrates its “cat” like name each year with the Cat’n Around Catskill celebration. Since 2006 local artists create their own unique interpretations of a cat, generally made of fiberglass, and all beautifully colored and decorated. The cats are then placed throughout the Catskill village on special design posts for public viewing, generally from Memorial Day through Labor Day. At the end of the season the sculpture cats are auctioned off at a special event known as the Cat’s Meow Auction and Gala, with the proceeds benefiting the Heart of Catskill Association. Cat’n Around is the longest running public art exhibit in Greene County.

Captain AmeriCAT, from the 2014 event, was created by local artist Jim Bonivito. The captain was sponsored by B & B Garage.

Captain AmeriCAT

The village of Catskill celebrates its “cat” like name each year with the Cat’n Around Catskill celebration. Since 2006 local artists create their own unique interpretations of a cat, generally made of fiberglass, and all beautifully colored and decorated. The cats are then placed throughout the Catskill village on special design posts for public viewing, generally from Memorial Day through Labor Day. At the end of the season the sculpture cats are auctioned off at a special event known as the Cat’s Meow Auction and Gala, with the proceeds benefiting the Heart of Catskill Association. Cat’n Around is the longest running public art exhibit in Greene County.

 

Captain AmeriCAT, from the 2014 event, was created by local artist Jim Bonivito. The captain was sponsored by B & B Garage.

 

The former Catskill Savings Bank, now The Bank of Greene County, is located in the village of Catskill, Greene County.The Bank of Greene County341 Main Street, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

The former Catskill Savings Bank was established in 1868 by a special act of the New York State Legislature. The longtime village mainstay prospered quickly with 229 depositors and $49,000 in total resources after its first year in operation. The Bank’s headquarters building, seen here, was constructed circa-1909. The building, built in the neoclassical architectural style, was designed by prominent American architect Marcus T. Reynolds (1869-1937). Upon its 1909 opening the building was described as a “a model banking house, equipped with modern bookkeeping and posting machines, York Safe & Lock Company modern vault, safe deposit boxes and all other necessary facilities.” (Kimball, Francis. The Capital Region of New York State, Crossroads of Empire. 1942.) After 132 years of serving the local community, the Catskills Savings Bank was acquired by Troy Savings Bank in 2000, and later merged again with the First Niagara Bank (which vacated the building in 2012). The building is now owned and operated by The Bank of Greene County.
The former Catskill Savings Bank, now The Bank of Greene County, is located in the village of Catskill, Greene County.Catskills Savings Bank341 Main Street, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

The former Catskill Savings Bank was established in 1868 by a special act of the New York State Legislature. The longtime village mainstay prospered quickly with 229 depositors and $49,000 in total resources after its first year in operation. The Bank’s headquarters building, seen here, was constructed circa-1909. The building, built in the neoclassical architectural style, was designed by prominent American architect Marcus T. Reynolds (1869-1937). Upon its 1909 opening the building was described as a “a model banking house, equipped with modern bookkeeping and posting machines, York Safe & Lock Company modern vault, safe deposit boxes and all other necessary facilities.” (Kimball, Francis. The Capital Region of New York State, Crossroads of Empire. 1942.) After 132 years of serving the local community, the Catskills Savings Bank was acquired by Troy Savings Bank in 2000, and later merged again with the First Niagara Bank (which vacated the building in 2012). The building is now owned and operated by The Bank of Greene County.

Catskill Savings Bank

341 Main Street

 

The former Catskill Savings Bank was established in 1868 by a special act of the New York State Legislature. The longtime village mainstay prospered quickly with 229 depositors and $49,000 in total resources after its first year in operation. The Bank’s headquarters building, seen here, was constructed circa-1909. The building, built in the neoclassical architectural style, was designed by prominent American architect Marcus T. Reynolds (1869-1937). Upon its 1909 opening the building was described as a “a model banking house, equipped with modern bookkeeping and posting machines, York Safe & Lock Company modern vault, safe deposit boxes and all other necessary facilities.” (Kimball, Francis. The Capital Region of New York State, Crossroads of Empire. 1942.) After 132 years of serving the local community, the Catskills Savings Bank was acquired by Troy Savings Bank in 2000, and later merged again with the First Niagara Bank (which vacated the building in 2012). The building is now owned and operated by The Bank of Greene County.

 

The 391 Main Street building in the village of Catskill, New York is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District.391 Main Street, CatskillThe 391 Main Street building in the village of Catskill, New York is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District.

The 391 Main Street building was constructed circa 1890. It is “commercial – 3 story – 4 bays wide – Brick – Flat roof with highly decorative cornice – glass storefront on street level.” The building has been home to Selleck & Co., a bakery and confectionery, Upper Hudson Electric and Railroad Company and Central Hudson Gas & Electric.

391 Main Street, Catskill

The 391 Main Street building was constructed circa 1890. It is “commercial – 3 story – 4 bays wide – Brick – Flat roof with highly decorative cornice – glass storefront on street level.” The building has been home to Selleck & Co., a bakery and confectionery, Upper Hudson Electric and Railroad Company and Central Hudson Gas & Electric.

 

The congregation of the First Baptist Church in the village of Catskill, Greene County was organized in 1803.First Baptist Church321 Main Street, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

The congregation of the First Baptist Church in the village of Catskill was organized in 1803. The first services, under the leadership of Pastor Truman Beeman, were held in the home of church member Ketura Hill, then at the schoolhouse, then the courthouse and then a small building constructed on Clarke Street. With the rapidly growing membership, then approaching 102 members, the first church at the Main Street site was constructed in 1840, but unfortunately burned to the ground only 11 years later in 1851. Its 1852 replacement was destroyed by fire in 1871 after only 19 years of use. The current building was constructed in 1873 at a cost of $22,000.

The First Baptist Church building was described on Catskill’s nomination form for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places as “Gothic in detail, with two steeples, one tall and one short, and a large Gothic front window with tracery, framed by two front entrances, one under each tower. Each tower is encircled below its spire with white wooden louvers topped by miniature Gothic spires. The church as elaborate brick detailing including wood molds and corbelling; there are lancet openings set into the towers and stained glass in windows.”

The building later became home to the Gospel Tabernacle Church. Today the building is home to a fitness center (Snap Fitness) and a physical therapy practice.

First Baptist Church

The congregation of the First Baptist Church in the village of Catskill was organized in 1803. The first services, under the leadership of Pastor Truman Beeman, were held in the home of church member Ketura Hill, then at the schoolhouse, then the courthouse and then a small building constructed on Clarke Street. With the rapidly growing membership, then approaching 102 members, the first church at the Main Street site was constructed in 1840, but unfortunately burned to the ground only 11 years later in 1851. Its 1852 replacement was destroyed by fire in 1871 after only 19 years of use. The current building was constructed in 1873 at a cost of $22,000.

 

The First Baptist Church building was described on Catskill’s nomination form for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places as “Gothic in detail, with two steeples, one tall and one short, and a large Gothic front window with tracery, framed by two front entrances, one under each tower. Each tower is encircled below its spire with white wooden louvers topped by miniature Gothic spires. The church as elaborate brick detailing including wood molds and corbelling; there are lancet openings set into the towers and stained glass in windows.”

 

The building later became home to the Gospel Tabernacle Church. Today the building is home to a fitness center (Snap Fitness) and a physical therapy practice.

 

The beautiful First Reformed Church is located on Main Street in the historic village of Catskill in Greene County, New York.First Reformed Church, CatskillThe beautiful First Reformed Church is located on Main Street in the historic village of Catskill in Greene County, New York. After the prior church burned in 1851, the church was reconstructed in 1852 “with a projecting square central tower and arched windows topped by hood molds.” (1) The “structure is very commodious and the interior shows artistic decorations and beautiful memorial windows. The building has been remodeled and the grounds beautified by a cut stone retaining wall, similar to that in front of the court house.” (2) The church building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District (of Catskill). The church is currently under the leadership of Reverend Joanna C. Tipple.

Sources:
(1) Ross, Claire L. National Register of Historic Places nomination form for the East Side Historic District. Page 8.

(2) Gallt, Frank A. Dear Old Greene County. Catskill, NY, 1915. Pages 255-257.

First Reformed Church

The beautiful First Reformed Church is located on Main Street in the historic village of Catskill in Greene County, New York. After the prior church burned in 1851, the church was reconstructed in 1852 “with a projecting square central tower and arched windows topped by hood molds.” The “structure is very commodious and the interior shows artistic decorations and beautiful memorial windows. The building has been remodeled and the grounds beautified by a cut stone retaining wall, similar to that in front of the court house.” The church building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District (of Catskill). The church is currently under the leadership of Reverend Joanna C. Tipple.

 

The village of Catskill in Greene County, New York reflects in the Catskill Creek in the early evening of an autumn day.Catskill Creek ReflectionThe village of Catskill reflects in the Catskill Creek in the early evening of an autumn day. Much of the idyllic village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District (of Catskill). The village of Catskill in Greene County, New York reflects in the Catskill Creek in the early evening of an autumn day.A Catskill NightThe village of Catskill reflects in the Catskill Creek in the early evening of an autumn day. Much of the idyllic village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District (of Catskill).

All Quiet on the Catskill Riverfront

The village of Catskill reflects in the Catskill Creek in the early evening of an autumn day. Much of the idyllic village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Side Historic District (of Catskill).

 

Cedar Grove, the home of Thomas Cole, is located in the village of Catskill, New York.Cedar Grove (Home of Thomas Cole)Thomas Cole (1801-1848) was perhaps the most prominent American landscape painter of his time. His depictions of the Catskills captured the imagination of the American public, offering a sense of national pride in the country’s natural beauty. His paintings offered the belief that the vast and awe-inspiring American landscape was sublime, a reflection of God, with nature ultimately inseparable from religion. Cole, through his masterful landscapes and interpretation of nature, is widely renowned as the founder of Hudson River School, the first uniquely American art movement. The fourth highest peak in the Catskills is named in his honor.

Thomas Cole first came to Cedar Grove, the farm of John A. Thompson, in the 1820’s and eventually called it home after marrying one Thompson’s nieces. The current property, set on 5 acres of the original estate, includes Cole’s home, his original studio and wonderful panoramic views of the Catskill Mountains. Guided tours, a visitor center and a gift shop are also available. Cedar Grove is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cedar Grove, the home of Thomas Cole, is located in the village of Catskill, New York.View of the CatskillsThomas Cole (1801-1848) was perhaps the most prominent American landscape painter of his time. His depictions of the Catskills captured the imagination of the American public, offering a sense of national pride in the country’s natural beauty. His paintings offered the belief that the vast and awe-inspiring American landscape was sublime, a reflection of God, with nature ultimately inseparable from religion. Cole, through his masterful landscapes and interpretation of nature, is widely renowned as the founder of Hudson River School, the first uniquely American art movement. The fourth highest peak in the Catskills is named in his honor.

Thomas Cole first came to Cedar Grove, the farm of John A. Thompson, in the 1820’s and eventually called it home after marrying one Thompson’s nieces. The current property, set on 5 acres of the original estate, includes Cole’s home, his original studio and wonderful panoramic views of the Catskill Mountains. Guided tours, a visitor center and a gift shop are also available. Cedar Grove is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Cedar Grove (Home of Thomas Cole)

Thomas Cole (1801-1848) was perhaps the most prominent American landscape painter of his time. His depictions of the Catskills captured the imagination of the American public, offering a sense of national pride in the country’s natural beauty. His paintings offered the belief that the vast and awe-inspiring American landscape was sublime, a reflection of God, with nature ultimately inseparable from religion. Cole, through his masterful landscapes and interpretation of nature, is widely renowned as the founder of Hudson River School, the first uniquely American art movement. The fourth highest peak in the Catskills is named in his honor.

 

Thomas Cole first came to Cedar Grove, the farm of John A. Thompson, in the 1820’s and eventually called it home after marrying one Thompson’s nieces. Cedar Grove is located on a hill on the west bank of the Hudson River at the village of Catskill, New York. The house was constructed between 1812 and 1814.

 

The current property, set on 5 acres of the original estate, includes Cole’s home, his original studio and wonderful panoramic views of the Catskill Mountains. Guided tours, a visitor center and a gift shop are also available. Cedar Grove is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

Gravesite for Charles L. Beach (1808-1902), located at the Thompson Street Cemetery in the village of Catskill, New York.RIP Charles L. BeachThompson Street Cemetery, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

Charles L. Beach (1808-1902) was one of the most influential businessmen in Catskills history. Mr. Beach began his career working with his father, Erastus Beach, at the family business, a stage coach company. He would take visitors via a long arduous stage coach ride from the Hudson River port city of Catskill to Pine Orchard, home of the Catskill Mountain House, renowned in its time as one of the most famous hotels in the world. By 1845 Mr. Beach would purchase and personally manage the Catskill Mountain House. For nearly a century after its 1824 founding the hotel was nearly synonymous with the Catskills, i.e. if a traveler said they were going to the Catskills, it meant they were going to the area around the Catskill Mountain House. In 1882 Mr. Beach opened the Catskill Mountain Railroad and in 1892 he opened the Otis Elevating Railroad, both of which significantly improved tourist access to the Mountain House.

Unfortunately, by the 1930s, economic hard times, changing vacation patterns and declining tourism as people sought out (with the popularity of automobiles and improved highways) more exotic destinations meant the Catskills were no longer the treasured destination they once were. The Catskill Mountain House would continue to operate until 1941 when the hotel shut its doors for good. By 1962 the decaying house and its surrounding property had been acquired by New York State. In 1963 the Catskill Mountain House was burned to the ground by the state.

For more information about Charles Beach and the Catskill Mountain House be sure to check out The Catskill Mountain House by Roland Van Zandt. Van Zandt brilliantly takes you through the hotel’s history, the people, and its lasting influence on the region. Van Zandt also provides insightful historical context that helps the reader understand the popularity of the Catskills in popular culture and the public’s imagination. Any person looking to learn more about the Catskills should certainly seek out this book. The Catskill Mountain House has long been out of print, but you can often pick up a copy online.

RIP Charles L. Beach

Thompson Street Cemetery

 

Charles L. Beach (1808-1902) was one of the most influential businessmen in Catskills history. Mr. Beach began his career working with his father, Erastus Beach, at the family business, a stage coach company. He would take visitors via a long arduous stage coach ride from the Hudson River port city of Catskill to Pine Orchard, home of the Catskill Mountain House, renowned in its time as one of the most famous hotels in the world. By 1845 Mr. Beach would purchase and personally manage the Catskill Mountain House. For nearly a century after its 1824 founding the hotel was nearly synonymous with the Catskills, i.e. if a traveler said they were going to the Catskills, it meant they were going to the area around the Catskill Mountain House. In 1882 Mr. Beach opened the Catskill Mountain Railroad and in 1892 he opened the Otis Elevating Railroad, both of which significantly improved tourist access to the Mountain House. 

 

Unfortunately, by the 1930s, economic hard times, changing vacation patterns and declining tourism as people sought out (with the popularity of automobiles and improved highways) more exotic destinations meant the Catskills were no longer the treasured destination they once were. The Catskill Mountain House would continue to operate until 1941 when the hotel shut its doors for good. By 1962 the decaying house and its surrounding property had been acquired by New York State. In 1963 the Catskill Mountain House was burned to the ground by the state. 

 

For more information about Charles Beach and the Catskill Mountain House be sure to check out The Catskill Mountain House by Roland Van Zandt. Van Zandt brilliantly takes you through the hotel’s history, the people, and its lasting influence on the region. Van Zandt also provides insightful historical context that helps the reader understand the popularity of the Catskills in popular culture and the public’s imagination. Any person looking to learn more about the Catskills should certainly seek out this book. The Catskill Mountain House has long been out of print, but you can often pick up a copy online.

 

Thomas Cole (1801-1848), widely renowned as the founder of Hudson River School, is buried at the Thomson Street Cemetery in the village of Catskill, New York.RIP Thomas ColeThompson Street Cemetery, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

Thomas Cole (1801-1848) was perhaps the most prominent American landscape painter of his time. His depictions of the Catskills captured the imagination of the American public, offering a sense of national pride in the country’s natural beauty. His paintings offered the belief that the vast and awe-inspiring American landscape was sublime, a reflection of God, with nature ultimately inseparable from religion. Cole, through his masterful landscapes and interpretation of nature, is widely renowned as the founder of Hudson River School, the first uniquely American art movement. The fourth highest peak in the Catskills is named in his honor.

The Thompson Street Cemetery is part of the East Side Historic District, which is included on the National Register of Historic Places. The cemetery was described on the Historic District’s application for inclusion on the National Register thusly: “On Thompson Street, the old road connecting with the Athens Turnpike leading north out of the village, a cemetery was established early. Many older graves were moved into this cemetery, and many people important to the history of the village, including artist Thomas Cole, were buried there. Twice enlarged, the cemetery provides a large, landscaped tranquil green space between Thompson Street and New Street.”

RIP Thomas Cole

Thompson Street Cemetery

 

Thomas Cole (1801-1848) was perhaps the most prominent American landscape painter of his time. His depictions of the Catskills captured the imagination of the American public, offering a sense of national pride in the country’s natural beauty. His paintings offered the belief that the vast and awe-inspiring American landscape was sublime, a reflection of God, with nature ultimately inseparable from religion. Cole, through his masterful landscapes and interpretation of nature, is widely renowned as the founder of Hudson River School, the first uniquely American art movement. The fourth highest peak in the Catskills is named in his honor.

 

The Thompson Street Cemetery is part of the East Side Historic District, which is included on the National Register of Historic Places. The cemetery was described on the Historic District’s application for inclusion on the National Register thusly: “On Thompson Street, the old road connecting with the Athens Turnpike leading north out of the village, a cemetery was established early. Many older graves were moved into this cemetery, and many people important to the history of the village, including artist Thomas Cole, were buried there. Twice enlarged, the cemetery provides a large, landscaped tranquil green space between Thompson Street and New Street.”

 

Statue Civil War soldier located within the Thompson Street Cemetery in the village of Catskill, New York.Standing GuardThompson Street Cemetery, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

This statue of a Civil War soldier is located within the Thompson Street Cemetery in Catskill. It serves as a monument to all veterans who have served in the United States military. Grave sites of veterans who have served in our nation’s wars circle the monument.

The Thompson Street Cemetery is part of the East Side Historic District, which is included on the National Register of Historic Places. The cemetery was described on the Historic District’s application for inclusion on the National Register thusly: “On Thompson Street, the old road connecting with the Athens Turnpike leading north out of the village, a cemetery was established early. Many older graves were moved into this cemetery, and many people important to the history of the village, including artist Thomas Cole, were buried there. Twice enlarged, the cemetery provides a large, landscaped tranquil green space between Thompson Street and New Street.”
Statue Civil War soldier located within the Thompson Street Cemetery in the village of Catskill, New York.VigilantThompson Street Cemetery, East Side Historic District, Catskill, Greene County

This statue of a Civil War soldier is located within the Thompson Street Cemetery in Catskill. It serves as a monument to all veterans who have served in the United States military. Grave sites of veterans who have served in our nation’s wars circle the monument.

The Thompson Street Cemetery is part of the East Side Historic District, which is included on the National Register of Historic Places. The cemetery was described on the Historic District’s application for inclusion on the National Register thusly: “On Thompson Street, the old road connecting with the Athens Turnpike leading north out of the village, a cemetery was established early. Many older graves were moved into this cemetery, and many people important to the history of the village, including artist Thomas Cole, were buried there. Twice enlarged, the cemetery provides a large, landscaped tranquil green space between Thompson Street and New Street.”

Standing Guard

Thompson Street Cemetery

 

This statue of a Civil War soldier is located within the Thompson Street Cemetery in Catskill. It serves as a monument to all veterans who have served in the United States military. Grave sites of veterans who have served in our nation’s wars circle the monument.

 

The District School No. 11, located in the Jefferson Heights area of Catskill, was established circa 1834.District School No. 11Jefferson Heights, Catskill, Greene County

District School No. 11, located in the Jefferson Heights area of Catskill, was established circa 1834 with 25 students and remained in continuous operation until 1948 when it closed due to school district consolidation. As was common for rural areas of the era, the one room schoolhouse served students of all grade levels. Remarkably, although one room schoolhouses are considered a product of a long-gone era, there are still approximately 400 active one-room schoolhouses in the United States. The school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as an “architecturally and historically significant . . . highly intact example of modest one-room schoolhouse built in rural areas of New York in the mid nineteenth century.”

District School No. 11

Jefferson Heights

 

District School No. 11, located in the Jefferson Heights area of Catskill, was established circa 1834 with 25 students and remained in continuous operation until 1948 when it closed due to school district consolidation. As was common for rural areas of the era, the one room schoolhouse served students of all grade levels. Remarkably, although one room schoolhouses are considered a product of a long-gone era, there are still approximately 400 active one-room schoolhouses in the United States. The school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as an “architecturally and historically significant . . . highly intact example of modest one-room schoolhouse built in rural areas of New York in the mid nineteenth century.”

 


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Subscribe
RSS
Archive
January February March April May June July August September October November (3) December (1)
January (1) February (2) March April May June (2) July August September October November (1) December (1)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September (2) October November December
January (2) February (1) March (2) April (4) May June July August September October November (3) December (3)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January (5) February (4) March (6) April (7) May (3) June July August September October November December