The Children Are Our Future: Jeffersonville Central School

June 25, 2022  •  Leave a Comment

The Jeffersonville Central School building is located in the village of Jeffersonville in Sullivan County. It is situated on the top of Behnken Hill, the high point of the 54-acre campus. East of the school is the central business district of the Jeffersonville village, while to the north, west and south are “the rolling foothills of the Catskill Mountains, marked by small farms and one-family residences.”

 

The Jeffersonville Central School building is located in the village of Jeffersonville in Sullivan County, New York.Jeffersonville Central SchoolThe Jeffersonville Central School building is located in the village of Jeffersonville in Sullivan County. The building was designed by architect Harold Fullerton in the Colonial Revival style and constructed as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project in 1938-1939. At the time of its construction, and as part of the school centralization movement, the building “replaced 15 one-room and rural school-houses in the towns of Callicoon, Bethel, Fremont, Liberty, Delaware, and Cochecton.” The village of Jeffersonville and the Jeffersonville Central School were both named by a local 19th century hotel builder who was an admirer of Thomas Jefferson. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Jeffersonville Central School building is located in the village of Jeffersonville in Sullivan County, New York.The Walk to Jefferson Central SchoolThe Jeffersonville Central School building is located in the village of Jeffersonville in Sullivan County. The building was designed by architect Harold Fullerton in the Colonial Revival style and constructed as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project in 1938-1939. At the time of its construction, and as part of the school centralization movement, the building “replaced 15 one-room and rural school-houses in the towns of Callicoon, Bethel, Fremont, Liberty, Delaware, and Cochecton.” The village of Jeffersonville and the Jeffersonville Central School were both named by a local 19th century hotel builder who was an admirer of Thomas Jefferson. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Jeffersonville Central School building is located in the village of Jeffersonville in Sullivan County, New York.Jefferson CentralThe Jeffersonville Central School building is located in the village of Jeffersonville in Sullivan County. The building was designed by architect Harold Fullerton in the Colonial Revival style and constructed as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project in 1938-1939. At the time of its construction, and as part of the school centralization movement, the building “replaced 15 one-room and rural school-houses in the towns of Callicoon, Bethel, Fremont, Liberty, Delaware, and Cochecton.” The village of Jeffersonville and the Jeffersonville Central School were both named by a local 19th century hotel builder who was an admirer of Thomas Jefferson. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

The building was designed by architect Harold Fullerton (1895-1965) in the Colonial Revival style and constructed as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project in 1938-1939. At the time of its construction, and as part of the school centralization movement, the building replaced 15 one-room and rural school-houses in the towns of Callicoon, Bethel, Fremont, Liberty, Delaware, and Cochecton. The building is estimated to have cost $418,000.

 

“Harold O. Fullerton, born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1896, opened his firm in Albany twelve years after graduating from the University of Michigan (1920) with degrees in Architecture and Architectural Engineering . . . During his career, he designed over 50 public and private schools, office buildings, churches, and other structures. Other work in New York State includes Livingston Manor Central School, Delaware Academy in Delhi, and the dormitory complex of the State University of New York (Albany Campus). He planned the modernization of Page, Draper, Heusted, and Richardson Halls on that campus. During World War II, he served as a Naval Commander of Yards and Docks. He was a member of many professional associations, including the American Institute of Architects, the Architectural League of New York, the Engineers Club of New York City, and the University Clubs of Washington and New York.” (Kuhn)

 

The village of Jeffersonville and the Jeffersonville Central School were both named by a local 19th century hotel builder who was an admirer of Thomas Jefferson.

 

The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places “as a monumental Colonial Revival style building that is associated with the period of centralization in the development of the New York State educational system.”

 

Source: Kuhn, Robert D. “Jefferson School.” National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. 1988.

 


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Subscribe
RSS
Archive
January February March April May June July August September October November (3) December (1)
January (1) February (2) March April May June (2) July August September October November (1) December (1)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September (2) October November December
January (2) February (1) March (2) April (4) May June July August September October November (3) December (3)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December