Beaverkill Covered Bridge – A Photographic Study

February 25, 2023  •  Leave a Comment

“If there is one stream more than another that deserves the title of a perfect trout-stream it is the Beaverkill.” – Benjamin Kent

 

 

The historic Beaverkill Covered Bridge is located north of the Catskills hamlet of Livingston Manor in Sullivan County, New York. The historic bridge provides a scenic background as part of the Beaverkill State Campground, one of the oldest campgrounds in the Catskills.

 

Photograph of the Beaverkill Covered Bridge, located north of the Catskills hamlet of Livingston Manor in Sullivan County, New York.Beaverkill Covered Bridge

 

Photograph of the Beaverkill Covered Bridge, located north of the Catskills hamlet of Livingston Manor in Sullivan County, New York.Crossing the Beaverkill

 

Photograph of the Beaverkill Covered Bridge, located north of the Catskills hamlet of Livingston Manor in Sullivan County, New York.Beautiful Morning at the Beaverkill Covered Bridge

 

The bridge was originally built in 1865 by John Davidson, a Scottish immigrant, farmer, lumberman and famous Catskills covered bridge builder. The town lattice truss bridge is 14.5 feet wide and spans 98 feet over the famed Beaverkill River. It is open to vehicular traffic and continues to this day as a key river crossing point for local communities. The Beaverkill Covered Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

Grave site for John Davidson, builder of the Bendo Covered Bridge, the Livingston Manor Covered Bridge and the Beaverkill Covered Bridge.RIP John, Amanda and Clara DavidsonLew Beach, Sullivan County

John Davidson (1815-1875) was a Scottish immigrant, farmer, lumberman, sawmill owner and famous Catskills covered bridge builder. He constructed the Bendo Covered Bridge (1860), the Livingston Manor Covered Bridge (1860) and the Beaverkill Covered Bridge (1865).

John was born in 1815 in the Highlands of Scotland to shepherd William Davidson (1786-1876) and Rebecca Black (1786-1870). Along with his family, John Davidson immigrated to the United States in 1819. The family first moved to Andes where they spent 1 ½ years, before settling down at Campbell Mountain near Downsville in Delaware County, New York. The family owned 140 acres of forest that was improved in to a working family farm.

At some time in the 1840s John Davidson moved to a farm near the hamlet of Shin Creek (now known as Lew Beach) in the Beaverkill Valley in the Town of Rockland, Sullivan County. On February 27, 1845, John Davidson married Amanda Joscelyn (~1823-1902), daughter of Hon. G. S. Joscelyn. John and Amanda had 14 children together. John died in 1875 during an accident involving “falling logs” at the Voorhees mill. Both John and Amanda are buried at the Davidson Cemetery near Lew Beach.

 

The aging Beaverkill Covered Bridge was restored between 2015 and 2017. New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the project’s completion in June 2017 with a press release that included a description of the work completed. “Extensive repairs were made to the one-lane bridge, including a full replacement of the timber decking, roofing and siding, and replacement of selected floor beams, roof rafters and support members as necessary. The abutment on the eastern side of the bridge was reconstructed to replicate the original stone approach ramp. The western abutment was resurfaced with stone from the eastern approach ramp in order to replicate the original stone wall appearance. As part of the project, a walkway underneath the bridge – located between the eastern pier and abutment – was widened. One of the bridge piers was repaired.” (www.governor.ny.gov. “Governor Cuomo Announces Completion of Historic Covered Bridge Rehabilitation Project.” Albany, NY. June 21, 2017.)

 

The Beaverkill Covered Bridge, seen here with exposed town lattice trusses due to the removed siding, underwent a major restoration project between 2015 and 2017.UncoveredLivingston Manor, Sullivan County

The historic Beaverkill Covered Bridge, also known as Conklin Bridge, was originally built in 1865 by John Davidson, a Scottish immigrant, farmer, lumberman and famous Catskills covered bridge builder. The town lattice truss bridge, located north of Livingston Manor, is 14.5 feet wide and spans 98 feet over the famed Beaverkill River. The historic bridge provides a scenic background as part of the Beaverkill State Campground, one of the oldest campgrounds in the Catskills. It is open to vehicular traffic and continues to this day as a key river crossing point for local communities. The Covered Bridge Pool, a scenic and popular fly-fishing location, is located adjacent and underneath the bridge. The Beaverkill Covered Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The aging Beaverkill Covered Bridge was restored between 2015 and 2017. New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the project’s completion in June 2017 with a press release that included a description of the work completed. “Extensive repairs were made to the one-lane bridge, including a full replacement of the timber decking, roofing and siding, and replacement of selected floor beams, roof rafters and support members as necessary. The abutment on the eastern side of the bridge was reconstructed to replicate the original stone approach ramp. The western abutment was resurfaced with stone from the eastern approach ramp in order to replicate the original stone wall appearance. As part of the project, a walkway underneath the bridge – located between the eastern pier and abutment – was widened. One of the bridge piers was repaired.” (www.governor.ny.gov. “Governor Cuomo Announces Completion of Historic Covered Bridge Rehabilitation Project.” Albany, NY. June 21, 2017.)

 

The Beaverkill Covered Bridge, seen here with exposed town lattice trusses due to the removed siding, underwent a major restoration project between 2015 and 2017.UncoveredLivingston Manor, Sullivan County

The historic Beaverkill Covered Bridge, also known as Conklin Bridge, was originally built in 1865 by John Davidson, a Scottish immigrant, farmer, lumberman and famous Catskills covered bridge builder. The town lattice truss bridge, located north of Livingston Manor, is 14.5 feet wide and spans 98 feet over the famed Beaverkill River. The historic bridge provides a scenic background as part of the Beaverkill State Campground, one of the oldest campgrounds in the Catskills. It is open to vehicular traffic and continues to this day as a key river crossing point for local communities. The Covered Bridge Pool, a scenic and popular fly-fishing location, is located adjacent and underneath the bridge. The Beaverkill Covered Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The aging Beaverkill Covered Bridge was restored between 2015 and 2017. New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the project’s completion in June 2017 with a press release that included a description of the work completed. “Extensive repairs were made to the one-lane bridge, including a full replacement of the timber decking, roofing and siding, and replacement of selected floor beams, roof rafters and support members as necessary. The abutment on the eastern side of the bridge was reconstructed to replicate the original stone approach ramp. The western abutment was resurfaced with stone from the eastern approach ramp in order to replicate the original stone wall appearance. As part of the project, a walkway underneath the bridge – located between the eastern pier and abutment – was widened. One of the bridge piers was repaired.” (www.governor.ny.gov. “Governor Cuomo Announces Completion of Historic Covered Bridge Rehabilitation Project.” Albany, NY. June 21, 2017.)

 

The Covered Bridge Pool, a scenic and popular fly-fishing location, is located adjacent and underneath the bridge. The historic plaque at the site reads: “Covered Bridge Pool. This stretch of the Beaverkill was a favorite of Theodore Gordon (1854-1915). Fly fisher, fly-tier and creator of the Quill Gordon, one of the first purely American dry flies. Erected by Theodore Gordon Flyfishers.”

 

Photograph of the sign for the Covered Bridge Pool, located at the Beaverkill Covered Bridge, north of the Catskills hamlet of Livingston Manor in Sullivan County, New York.Covered Bridge PoolThe Covered Bridge Pool, a scenic and popular fly-fishing location, is located adjacent and underneath the historic Beaverkill Covered Bridge. The bridge is located north of the Catskills hamlet of Livingston Manor in Sullivan County, New York.

The historic plaque at the site reads: “Covered Bridge Pool. This stretch of the Beaverkill was a favorite of Theodore Gordon (1854-1915). Fly fisher, fly-tier and creator of the Quill Gordon, one of the first purely American dry flies. Erected by Theodore Gordon Flyfishers.”

The historic Beaverkill Covered Bridge provides a scenic background as part of the Beaverkill State Campground, one of the oldest campgrounds in the Catskills. The bridge was originally built in 1865 by John Davidson, a Scottish immigrant, farmer, lumberman and famous Catskills covered bridge builder. The town lattice truss bridge is 14.5 feet wide and spans 98 feet over the famed Beaverkill River. It is open to vehicular traffic and continues to this day as a key river crossing point for local communities. The Beaverkill Covered Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

Photograph of the autumn colors on the Beaverkill, located north of the Catskills hamlet of Livingston Manor in Sullivan County, New York, near the Covered Bridge.Morning on the BeaverkillThe Beaverkill, or Beaver Kill, is a 44-mile tributary of the East Branch Delaware River. The reputation of the Beaverkill as an unparalleled trout fly-fishing destination is known far and wide. Seen here are the autumn colors of the Catskills at the Covered Bridge Pool, aptly named for the adjacent Beaverkill Covered Bridge.

The historic Beaverkill Covered Bridge is located north of the Catskills hamlet of Livingston Manor in Sullivan County, New York. The historic bridge provides a scenic background as part of the Beaverkill State Campground, one of the oldest campgrounds in the Catskills.

 

The Beaverkill, or Beaver Kill, is a 44-mile tributary of the East Branch Delaware River. It has its source near the col between Graham Mountain and Doubletop Mountain. The reputation of the Beaverkill as an unparalleled trout fly-fishing destination is known far and wide.


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Subscribe
RSS
Archive
January February March April May June July August September October November (3) December (1)
January (1) February (2) March April May June (2) July August September October November (1) December (1)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September (2) October November December
January (2) February (1) March (2) April (4) May June July August September October November (3) December (3)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January (4) February (4) March (5) April (3) May June July August September October November December