Catskills, Then and Now: Livingston Manor Covered Bridge

April 25, 2020  •  Leave a Comment

Livingston Manor, Sullivan County

 

The historic Livingston Manor Covered Bridge, formerly known as the Mott Flats Bridge and more recently as the Vantran Bridge, was originally built in 1860 by John Davidson, a Scottish immigrant, farmer, lumberman and famous Catskills covered bridge builder. The bridge was restored to its original beauty in 1984 by the Division of Public Works. The town lattice truss bridge is approximately 17 feet wide and spans 117 feet over the famous Willowemoc Creek. The single lane bridge is open to vehicular traffic and continues to this day as a key river crossing point for the local community.

 

The original name of the bridge, Mott Flats, came from the Mott family, who owned land around the bridge. John Mott would later grow in to an influential American figure as the founder of the YMCA, Nobel Peace Prize winner and philanthropist. His original homestead house is located directly adjacent to the bridge.

 

This vintage postcard of the Livingston Manor Covered Bridge was taken many decades ago by famed photographer Bob Wyer of Delhi, New York. My photograph was taken in July 2016.

 

Vintage postcard of the Livingston Manor Covered Bridge, formerly known as the Mott Flats Bridge and more recently as the Vantran Bridge, that was originally built in 1860 by John Davidson.Covered Bridge over the Willowemoc at Livingston Manor, NYLivingston Manor, Sullivan County

Vintage postcard of the Livingston Manor Covered Bridge that was published by Bob Wyer. It was never mailed.

The historic Livingston Manor Covered Bridge, formerly known as the Mott Flats Bridge and more recently as the Vantran Bridge, was originally built in 1860 by John Davidson, a Scottish immigrant, farmer, lumberman and famous Catskills covered bridge builder. The bridge was restored to its original beauty in 1984 by the Division of Public Works. The town lattice truss bridge is approximately 17 feet wide and spans 117 feet over the famous Willowemoc Creek. The single lane bridge is open to vehicular traffic and continues to this day as a key river crossing point for the local community.

The original name of the bridge, Mott Flats, came from the Mott family, who owned land around the bridge. John Mott would later grow in to an influential American figure as the founder of the YMCA, Nobel Peace Prize winner and philanthropist. His original homestead house is located directly adjacent to the bridge.

Bob Wyer is one of the most prolific photographers in the history of the Catskills. His photographic career included shooting just about everything, such as passport photos, chauffer licenses, hunting licenses, high school yearbooks, formal portraits, special occasions such as birthdays and weddings, young babies, local stores, hotels and businesses, accidents, insurance claims, crime scenes, landscapes, parades and local news events. There was nothing that Bob couldn’t and wouldn’t photograph. Upon his retirement, Bob donated his extensive collection of over 150,000 photos to the Delaware County Historical Association. The collection is a virtual time capsule of the region from the late 1930s to the 1970s.

 

The Livingston Manor Covered Bridge, formerly known as the Mott Flats Bridge and more recently as the Vantran Bridge, was originally built in 1860 by John Davidson.Livingston Manor Covered BridgeLivingston Manor, Sullivan County

The historic Livingston Manor Covered Bridge, formerly known as the Mott Flats Bridge and more recently as the Vantran Bridge, was originally built in 1860 by John Davidson, a Scottish immigrant, farmer, lumberman and famous Catskills covered bridge builder. The bridge was restored to its original beauty in 1984 by the Division of Public Works. The town lattice truss bridge is approximately 17 feet wide and spans 117 feet over the famous Willowemoc Creek. The single lane bridge is open to vehicular traffic and continues to this day as a key river crossing point for the local community.

The original name of the bridge, Mott Flats, came from the Mott family, who owned land around the bridge. John Mott would later grown in to an influential American figure as the founder of the YMCA, Nobel Peace Prize winner and philanthropist. His original homestead house is located directly adjacent to the bridge.


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Subscribe
RSS
Archive
January February March April May June July August September October November (3) December (1)
January (1) February (2) March April May June (2) July August September October November (1) December (1)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September (2) October November December
January (2) February (1) March (2) April (4) May June July August September October November (3) December (3)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January (5) February (4) March (4) April (4) May (1) June July August September October November December