Catskills, Then and Now: Gideon Frisbee House

May 02, 2020  •  Leave a Comment

Delhi, Delaware County

 

Gideon Frisbee (1758-1828) was a man of many talents that through an industrious career included pioneer, farmer, justice of the peace, county treasurer, revolutionary war veteran, militia captain, tavern keeper, and vestryman. His Federal-style, two-story house, located two miles north of Delhi, was built in 1797 along the West Branch of the Delaware River. The house is sometimes referred to as the “Birthplace of Delaware County” as the first meeting of the county board of supervisors was held here in 1797. The house remained in the Frisbee family for much of its history until it was acquired in 1960 by the Delaware County Historical Association, for which it now serves as their headquarters. The property is home to several other historic structures including a one-room schoolhouse, a gun shop, a blacksmith shop, a tollgate house, a corn crib and the family barn. The property and buildings are open to the public for tours. The Judge Gideon Frisbee House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.      

 

The vintage postcard of the Gideon Frisbee House in Delaware County, New York was taken many decades ago by famed photographer Bob Wyer of Delhi, New York. My photograph was taken in July 2013. Notice the difference in the size of the tree on the left of the photograph.

 

Vintage Catskills postcard of the Gideon Frisbee House located in Delhi, New York. It is home of the Delaware County Historical Association Museum.Frisbee House, Delaware County Historical Association MuseumDelhi, Delaware County

Vintage Catskills postcard of the Frisbee House, home of the Delaware County Historical Association Museum. The Frisbee House is located east of Delhi, New York. The postcard was published by Bob Wyer Photo Cards located in Delhi, New York. The postcard was never mailed.

Gideon Frisbee (1758-1828) was a man of many talents that through an industrious career included pioneer, farmer, justice of the peace, county treasurer, revolutionary war veteran, militia captain, tavern keeper, and vestryman. His Federal-style, two-story house, located two miles north of Delhi, was built in 1797 along the West Branch of the Delaware River. The house is sometimes referred to as the “Birthplace of Delaware County” as the first meeting of the county board of supervisors was held here in 1797. The house remained in the Frisbee family for much of its history until it was acquired in 1960 by the Delaware County Historical Association, for which it now serves as their headquarters. The property is home to several other historic structures including a one-room schoolhouse, a gun shop, a blacksmith shop, a tollgate house, a corn crib and the family barn. The property and buildings are open to the public for tours.


Bob Wyer is one of the most prolific photographers in the history of the Catskills. His photographic career included shooting just about everything, such as passport photos, chauffer licenses, hunting licenses, high school yearbooks, formal portraits, special occasions such as birthdays and weddings, young babies, local stores, hotels and businesses, accidents, insurance claims, crime scenes, landscapes, parades and local news events. There was nothing that Bob couldn’t and wouldn’t photograph. Upon his retirement, Bob donated his extensive collection of over 150,000 photos to the Delaware County Historical Association. The collection is a virtual time capsule of the region from the late 1930s to the 1970s.

 

The Gideon Frisbee House, located in Delhi, New York, is now home to the Delaware County Historical Association.Gideon Frisbee HouseDelhi, Delaware County

Gideon Frisbee (1758-1828) was a man of many talents that through an industrious career included pioneer, farmer, justice of the peace, county treasurer, revolutionary war veteran, militia captain, tavern keeper, and vestryman. His Federal-style, two-story house, located two miles north of Delhi, was built in 1797 along the West Branch of the Delaware River. The house is sometimes referred to as the “Birthplace of Delaware County” as the first meeting of the county board of supervisors was held here in 1797. The house remained in the Frisbee family for much of its history until it was acquired in 1960 by the Delaware County Historical Association, for which it now serves as their headquarters. The property is home to several other historic structures including a one-room schoolhouse, a gun shop, a blacksmith shop, a tollgate house, a corn crib and the family barn. The property and buildings are open to the public for tours.

 


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Subscribe
RSS
Archive
January February March April May June July August September October November (3) December (1)
January (1) February (2) March April May June (2) July August September October November (1) December (1)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September (2) October November December
January (2) February (1) March (2) April (4) May June July August September October November (3) December (3)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January (5) February (4) March (4) April (4) May (1) June July August September October November December