The Delaware House is located along the Delaware River in the quaint hamlet of Callicoon in the town of Delaware, Sullivan County. The former hotel and saloon were once considered one of the finest in the area.
The first hotel on the site was constructed in the 1850s by William Batsford. The original building was later sold it to Zillar Minard, who operated the establishment as the Minard Hotel. The building was then sold again to Eleazer Everard. Then misfortune struck with the devastating fire in 1888 that destroyed much of Callicoon’s Lower Main Street, including the original hotel.
Jacob Dietz (1843-1925), a former blacksmith and Sullivan County sheriff, purchased the site and constructed the current building in 1888. Dietz operated the Delaware House until 1907. Dietz then sold it to Stephen D. Sawyer, who operated it for many years and, upon his death, passed it to his son George W. Sawyer. In 1920 D.J. Starck then leased the building for five years. After only a year however, George Sawyer sold the building to Louis Supera in 1921 for $35,000; with Starck receiving compensation for the remaining 4 years of his lease. The next owners, in 1925, were the Orth Brothers who intended to convert the building to stores and for their automobile garage and service station business. Only a year later, the building was sold again, this time to L.D. Whitlock who planned on returning the building to a hotel and restaurant.
Over the years, the building has been home to residential apartments, an automobile service station, a dentist office, a legal office and a variety of other commercial businesses.