Split Rock Falls, at eight feet high, is a small but scenic waterfall that drops through a natural cleft in an exposed rock ledge along the Coxing Kill. The falls are situated within the Mohonk Preserve and make for a popular swimming hole and summer picnic location as well as serving as a convenient trailhead for hikers.
The area in and around Split Rock Falls was first settled by Henry Harp and his family in 1764 as part of a government land grant. The property was then briefly owned in the late 18th century by Tunis and Mary Roosa, who in turn, sold the property Johannes Enderly in 1801. The property then remained in the Enderly family for four generations over 120 years.
The Enderly homestead was located in the area once generally referred to as Trapps Mountain Hamlet. The homestead was the site of an operating sawmill, and the family likely gained additional income through blueberry picking, hoop pole making, tan bark peeling, charcoal making and other area industries. Although the structures are long gone, many of the building foundations can still be seen today. In 1920, the Enderly land was sold to the Smiley family, owners of the nearby Mohonk Mountain House and the now vanished Cliffhouse and the Wildmere at Lake Minnewaska.