What Once Was: The Apollo Mall at Monticello

June 04, 2022  •  Leave a Comment

The long-abandoned Apollo Mall on the east side of Monticello first opened in 1983. The mall, formerly the Monteco Mall, was developed by Alfred S. “Flap” Ingber of Fallsburg (1931-1991).

 

Photograph of the abandoned Apollo Mall in the southern Catskills in the village of Monticello, Sullivan County, New York.Apollo MallThe long-abandoned Apollo Mall on the east side of Monticello first opened in 1983. The factory outlet mall, although popular for a time with about 37 stores, did not last long. Plagued with issues, the last retail tenant moved out in 2003 and by 2007 the county had repossessed the property from its prior owners due to back taxes.

Photograph of the abandoned Apollo Mall in the southern Catskills in the village of Monticello, Sullivan County, New York.Apollo's FallThe long-abandoned Apollo Mall on the east side of Monticello first opened in 1983. The factory outlet mall, although popular for a time with about 37 stores, did not last long. Plagued with issues, the last retail tenant moved out in 2003 and by 2007 the county had repossessed the property from its prior owners due to back taxes.

Photograph of the abandoned Apollo Mall in the southern Catskills in the village of Monticello, Sullivan County, New York.ApolloThe long-abandoned Apollo Mall on the east side of Monticello first opened in 1983. The factory outlet mall, although popular for a time with about 37 stores, did not last long. Plagued with issues, the last retail tenant moved out in 2003 and by 2007 the county had repossessed the property from its prior owners due to back taxes.

 

Ingber was a graduate of Columbia University in 1954 and later served as president of the Apollo Scaffold and Equipment Company in Monticello. In 1973 he was named a trustee of the College of Pharmaceutical Sciences at Columbia University and was considered a “well-known area horseman.” He was married to Mary Ann Toomey (1938-2015), a graduate of Anna Maria College, Town of Forestburgh historian and partner with her husband at the Apollo Scaffold Company. Flap Ingber died at the age of 60 on October 1, 1991 and is buried at Temple Sholom Cemetery in Monticello.

 

At the time the Apollo was Sullivan County’s only indoor mall. Stores included Van Heusen, Hallmark, Mostly Books, Catskill Corner, American Tourister, Toy Liquidators, Fieldcrest Cannon, an 18-hole miniature golf course, a food court and a movie theater, among many others.

 

The factory outlet mall, although popular for a time with about 37 stores, did not last long. The mall was plagued with issues, including huge potholes in the parking lot, health code violations, fire hazards, uninspected fire sprinklers and a leaky roof. The mall was located adjacent to the Sullivan County landfill.

 

The last retail tenant moved out in 2003 and by 2007 the county had repossessed the property from its prior owners due to back taxes. The property is now in a high state of decay with broken glass, collapsed ceilings, overgrown vegetation and graffiti.

 

Photograph of the abandoned Apollo Mall in the southern Catskills in the village of Monticello, Sullivan County, New York.FriendsThe long-abandoned Apollo Mall on the east side of Monticello first opened in 1983. The factory outlet mall, although popular for a time with about 37 stores, did not last long. Plagued with issues, the last retail tenant moved out in 2003 and by 2007 the county had repossessed the property from its prior owners due to back taxes.

Photograph of the abandoned Apollo Mall in the southern Catskills in the village of Monticello, Sullivan County, New York.Iron Man at the ApolloThe long-abandoned Apollo Mall on the east side of Monticello first opened in 1983. The factory outlet mall, although popular for a time with about 37 stores, did not last long. Plagued with issues, the last retail tenant moved out in 2003 and by 2007 the county had repossessed the property from its prior owners due to back taxes.

 

In 2013, 10 years after the mall closed, several scenes from the supernatural horror film titled “Jamie Marks is Dead” were filmed at the abandoned mall. The movie was based on Christopher Barzak’s novel titled “One for Sorrow.”

 

The property is often in the local news as local officials work towards a solution on what do with the 25-acre property going forward. Ideas have included a boutique distillery, high stakes bingo parlor, office center, an updated shopping mall, a big box store or a truck stop and hotel off the redeveloped exit 106 as part of the Interstate 86 project.


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Subscribe
RSS
Archive
January February March April May June July August September October November (3) December (1)
January (1) February (2) March April May June (2) July August September October November (1) December (1)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September (2) October November December
January (2) February (1) March (2) April (4) May June July August September October November (3) December (3)
January February March April May June (1) July August September October November December
January (5) February (4) March (6) April (7) May (4) June (4) July (1) August September October November December